Monday, October 31, 2011

Carl v2 - Halloween 2011

Letting Carl sit around and give out candy to the kids was good enough for last year, but this year I'm going for something a little more exciting.

While perusing Costco I happened to see 80 packs of "party size" Play-Doh for $20.  I immediately  bought two packages (160 cans) and decided Carl was going to give out Play-Doh this year!  At the time I had no idea how I was going to accomplish this, but I knew I'd figure something out.

The next day it was off to Home Depot with a can of party size PlayDoh in my pocket to brainstorm a solution.  What I found was PVC pipe the perfect size for holding the party size Play-Doh cans.  In Carl's arm I can stack about 25 cans.
Now I just needed a way to dispense them one at a time.  I decided to use a solenoid I had lying around to pull a pin that would hold the stacked Play-Doh cans in the arm.  I figured if I pulsed the solenoid fast enough I could time it to release just one can at a time.  It turns out you have to be faster than a human's reflexes to do this.

I ended up using a PICAXE microcontroller I happened to have sitting around and built a small circuit with a relay so that when I pushed a button the PICAXE would pulse the relay fast enough to pull the pin and release only one can out of the arm.  See the video below:

 

Carl's Skeleton v2
The dispenser arm worked well but now I had another problem.  The arm would't fit or look right with Carl sitting down in a chair.  So I then had to build a standing, rigid skeleton for Carl.

In this photo I'm testing the angle of the dispenser arm.  It has to be angled down far enough for the Play-Doh cans to fall out, but also forward enough to look like he's handing the Play-Doh to a child.




Hey Carl Can Stand!
A large pair of shoes and leaning Carl's body slightly forward of his center of gravity helps him to stand.  Notice in this photo I haven't attached the dispenser arm to the final skeleton.








Carl and me in full safari gear ready for Halloween.






Check out the video below for a demo of Carl giving out Play-Doh.  Most kids loved him.  Some were terrified of him.  Dozens of parents forced their children to have their picture taken with him.  There were some pretty funny moments this year.









No comments:

Post a Comment